One of the easiest desserts that we serve on our retreats, and one of the most popular too. No sugar, and coconut is considered very satvic. A real yogi dessert, if there was one…
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 50g almonds
- 200 g dates
- 100g raisins
- 100g grated coconut
- 20g raw cacao powderSet aside 50 g of grated coconut and put all the other ingredients in a food processor. Blend into a smooth paste (unless the dates are very wet, you will have to add a little water).
Roll this paste into ball then roll into the remaining grated coconut. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
Will store in the fridge for a week or two.
Ideas: dates, raisins, apricots and figs work particularly well, mixed nuts pistachio, hazelnuts, blanched almonds, pecans, etc. For flavouring, try one teaspoon of ground cardamom, ginger or cinnamon instead of cacao powder.
Stewed fruit compote
- 3 cooking apples
- a glass of apple juice
- a handful of sultanas
- a few dried figs
- a handful of chopped dates
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 pods green cardamon, crushed
- 2 table spoons of brown sugar
Peel and dice the apples and stew for 20 minutes with the apple juice, the dried fruit and the spices on very low heat, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve warm.