- This event has passed.
Mindful living, joyful eating: summer yoga, mindfulness and vegetarian food retreat
19 August 2016 - 22 August 2016€450
During this intensive four day retreat, we will be looking at how we feed ourselves. We will work at developing mindfulness of our body, mind and emotions, specifically exploring why, how and what we eat. This course is particularly suitable for people who want to develop a healthy, joyful relationship with food.
The yoga on this course is gentle and restorative and is suitable for keen beginners. The classes will invite more experienced practitioners to explore the subtle connections between breathing and posture work, while those who are relatively new to yoga will be able to experience a depth of practice not normally achieved in beginner’s classes.
Important: To foster a quiet, meditative atmosphere, noble silence is kept from Supper to Breakfast and some meals will be eaten in silence. We also recommend that for the duration of the course, participants abstain from contact with the outside world, and in particular turn off their mobile phone (we will pass on any emergency calls if needs be).
The day starts with a thirty minute meditation session, followed by a 90 minutes yoga class.
A light breakfast follows the morning yoga session. We then invite you to share different food related activities, such as harvesting food from the gardens or from the wild and making it into jam or chutney for the winter, baking different kinds of breads, or simply preparing a gourmet vegetarian lunch.
At 1.00 we gather again for a twenty minute walking meditation followed by lunch, which is the main meal of the day. There’s some free time after lunch for walking, exploring, socialising, etc.
At 5.30 pm, we meet again for an afternoon session followed by a light supper, then by a thirty minute sitting meditation session.
- 3 nights accommodation (sharing in twin rooms)
- All meals (delicious organic vegetarian food, most vegetables grown on our farm)
- Over 20 hours of tuition in yoga, mindfulness and cooking
- Return ferry from Roonagh quay, plus transport to and from Westport if needed (only apply if you’re travelling with the rest of the group on the recommended ferry)
- Yoga and meditation techniques to cultivate mindfulness
- The basics of ayurvedic nutrition, including the three doshas and the six tastes of food
- How to use spices to quickly create delicious meals from simple ingredients
- Practical skills such as how to make ghee, fermented vegetables, and different types of bread
- Some delicious vegetarian recipes
5.15 pm Leave Roonagh pier
around 6.00 pm Arrive at the centre
6.30 pm Restorative yoga class with introduction to breath awareness
7.30 pm Dinner followed by introductory talk
9.00 am Sitting meditation
2nd and 3rd day
8.00 am Meditation / breath awareness
8.30 am Morning asana class
10.00 am Breakfast
10.30 am Food and cooking, in theory and in practice
1.00 pm Walking meditation
1.30 pm Lunch, then free time for hill walking, reading, relaxing, etc.
5.30 pm Afternoon session
7.30 pm Light supper
8.30 pm Sitting meditation
8.30 am Meditation / breath awareness
9.00 am Morning yoga class
12.45 Depart centre for 1.00pm ferry
*times may be subject to change