Vegetarian dessert recipes from Macalla Farm
One of the easiest desert we serve on our retreats, and one of the most popular too. No sugar, and coconut is considered very satvic. A real yogi desert, if there is one..
- 1 cup mixed dried fruits (dates, raisins, apricots and figs work particularly well)
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts (pistachio, hazelnuts, blanched almonds, pecans, etc.)
- 1 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinamom
- 1/2 cup grated coconuts
Put the nuts in a food processor and gring them roughly. Then add the dried fruit, a little at a time and grind to a smooth, stiff paste . Depending how dry the fruits are, you might have to add a little warm water to soften the paste a little, but make sure it remains quite stiff. As soon as soon as the paste stick together, you are done.
Put the coconut on a large plate. Roll the paste into small balls and roll these in the grated coconut. Refrigerate for a couple of hour before serving.
Stewed fruit compote
- 3 cooking apples
- a glass of apple juice
- a handful of sultanas
- a few dried figs
- a handful of chopped dates
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 pods green cardamon, crushed
- 2 table spoons of brown sugar
Peel and dice the apples and stew for 20 minutes with the apple juice, the dried fruit and the spices on very low heat, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve warm.